Friday, September 4, 2015

the Making of a Tree Block

I'm working on a tree quilt. It's certainly holiday themed, with the Christmas holiday in mind, but really I just love trees. Tree fabric, tree quilts, real trees... all are on my loves list :)

And because I know lots of people also love trees, this post will show you how to make a simple triangle tree block



I found these two quilts on Pinterest and wanted to re-create them, but found both methods to A) not fit the dimensions I was aiming for and B) be slightly fussier than I was aiming for.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/216595063305909943/
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/216595063305909946/

So... I modified this Purl Bee tutorial (by Sharilyn Wright of Lovely Design) to fit my vision!

*** All seams are 1/4" ***

Step 1: Create a bunch of tree trunks
Cut 2 - 3"x9" from white background solid
Cut 1 - 1.5"x9" from tree trunk fabric


Sew together along long edges, press seams open.

Cut 1.25" strips from this block for several tree trunks. Set aside.


Step 2: Create the Tree
Cut 1 - 4.5" x 8.5" from white background solid
Cut 1 - 5"x5" from tree fabric


Cut along the diagonal for the white fabric to create 2 triangles. (***Note: If you're using a non-solid fabric, like a white on white or some other low volume printed fabric, you will have to cut TWO pairs of diagonals, in opposite directions, in order to get both sides of the white background)

Fold tree fabric in half, cut along the diagonal to create 3 triangles. You will use the bigger triangle, scrap the other two.


Please note when you cut the tree fabric, FIRST fold in half and THEN cut on the diagonal. You'll be left with a beautiful center-folded triangle:


Align the tree triangle onto a white triangle (align bottom tree point 2" up from bottom white point, as shown below):


Sew together, Press seam toward tree side.

Align the other bottom tree point 2" up from the other white triangle:


Sew along entire edge, trim excess white as follows:


Press seam toward tree so the back looks like this:

Trim excess white off bottom edge, and get a trunk piece

Step 3: Sew the trunk on


Sew the trunk strip on, press that seam open:


Last Step:
Trim the entire block to 6" wide by 6.5" tall:


And you're done with one cute tree block!

Note there is no center seam along the tree (clean and simple!), and you don't need a special ruler for this block!


I will post a finished Christmas Tree Quilt after I've completed it, but for now... go make a bunch of trees :)


* please note I'm sharing this block construction for your personal use only. please do not copy my work for your profit without express permission from me. thank you for respecting the work of artists on the web :)

2 comments:

Ann said...

I also really love those tree quilts and have been wondering if it's the right design for my Christmas fabric. Thanks for the tutorial!

Jess said...

Really great! I can't wait to start this.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.