Monday, May 13, 2013

Bike Basket round 2

Well, it was time. Time for a new bike basket. Because three years after my first bike basket(s), my younger kid is now riding a bike!


Here's where scrap packs from Hawthorne Threads came in very handy. I used three from a "Fresh" pack, and used fabric I otherwise might not ever have cut into. Although... those Trees in cream are pretty awesome. I'm a sucker for tree fabrics.


My original notes on the pattern are still relatively true. The curved bucket bottom is a little big compared to the rectangular peices, which made for some puckering at the bottom of the bucket. It's not perfect. (Is anything, ever?). But it's totally functional and now I KNOW it will hold up well, because the one I made for Lili is still going strong (and has been transferred to her THIRD bike!).


It took me less than 2 hours to make this time. My sewing skilz have way improved since the last time (three years ago! OMG!).

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Q's is still strong and holds up to the loads of rocks!!

Anna said...

love the bucket!!! Gosh, I totally feel bad. I didn't update the bottom pattern piece until just now. And you know, when I made my last round I should have done it right away!

Sewing Mom said...

That's adorable! Great idea for the bike.

Niki said...

So stinkin' cute! Grea fabrics. Does the Velcro attaching part thingy whatchamacallit fit around the padded cover for the handlebar crossbar thingamajig (wow -- my vocabulary is really lacking here!)? It looks like you had taken that part off of the bike (if it had one to begin with, that is). I'm about to try Anna's pattern (I saw it was updated!) and really loved reading your posts about it to give me a leg up when I try it. Thanks!

Post a Comment