Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Fest - Fall 2012 Quilt!

Phew! I did it! I've been working on this quilt specifically for the Fall 2012 Blogger's Quilt Festival, and I finished last night, in the midst of Hurricane Sandy! I'll admit, Vermont was not hit particularly hard compared to New Jersey and other states south of us, but still, I was a little bit worried about loss of power.


This quilt, if you've read my earlier posts, features Heather Ross for Spoonflower's Princess and the Pea print. You can see it 3 different ways on the quilt. The remaining squares all come from my stash (thanks to Hawthorne Threads' Scrap packs!) The quilt came together quite organically - from fabric selection (lots of dots, to keep in with the "pea" theme), to block size and placement, along with the sashing (to sash or not?). All decisions were made on the go, and therefore I think helped me with my creative process.


Here's the back of the quilt, slightly wider than WOF, so I added a row of extra blocks to help echo the colors on the front.


Here is the Princess up close. I've framed her three times over. In Chinese culture, mutiples of three are good luck, so the number three is echoed throughout the quilt - lines of three, sets of three, blocks made of three, etc etc.


I knew I wanted to practice some free motion quilting on this quilt, so once the top was completed I set about doodling ideas for both the whitespace and the square blocks. I ended up doing a bit of Orla Kiley-esque stem work along the vertical white lines, and then used a little sprout curl (the top doodle square) for the quilt blocks themselves.


I decided to use white thread to quilt it. The blocks already seemed so busy, I didn't want to overwhelm the quilt with colored thread in the quilting. It's nice and subtle, and you really have to pay attention to see the details.


Finally, I bound it with a bit of a blanket stitch, helping blend the white into the binding.

My vision for this quilt? That it will belong to a little girl who will learn it and discover all the hidden details. The sets of three, the little peas everywhere, the fact that there are quilted treasures within it. Just as I used to do with my favorite blanket when I was young :)

Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats:
*Quilt Measurements: 46" x 58"
*Special Techniques used: home machine free motion quilting, fussy cutting
*Quilted by: June Shen-Epstein (me!)
*Best category – Baby Quilt, Throw Quilt, Home Machine Quilted Quilt 

* Entry # 460 - under "Junebug's World"



7 comments:

CitricSugar said...

This is so sweet! I love all the secrets that you've embedded into it. It really bumps up the 'special' factor.

Sarah said...

This is lovely, a wonderful selection of prints too.

Lindsay Conner said...

You are hard core, quilting in the hurricane. ;) Looks great!

Carla said...

I love the name of your quilt. It's lovely

Amanda ~ A Crafty Fox said...

Super pretty! I love the idea of incorporating threes based on your history and culture. This quilt will be cherished, I am sure!

Lyanna L. said...

great idea, and your quilt is gorgeous as well!

Kate Brown said...

I love that fabric! I love the whole creative process that you used. Very nice job!

Post a Comment