Thursday, September 20, 2012

Literary Baby Quilt

Here's the finished whole cloth baby quilt! I'm calling it "Literary Baby" because it's all book related :). In my mind, this fabric was always intended to be a whole cloth quilt. I bought it from Connecting Threads - it's from a collection called "Bookish" by Jeni Calo.

I've mentioned Connecting Threads before, and I have to say I'm a really big fan. I think the prints are great quality and they have some really nice modern prints. Like the one I used here :)... I do have to say, though, that I have'nt been too impressed with the quality of their solids. They seem thin, stiff, and I've found flaws in the weaving that were pretty blatant. My fave solids are Moda Bella, and I'll always reach for a Kona because I know I can count on them.

Anyway! Back to the quilt... My first attempt at free motion! The quilting is basically straight line quilting (you know me - it's quick and easy), but within each line I've added a free-motion cursive word. It was fun to do - I drew the lines and words with disappearing ink, then I started out the line with my open toed walking foot... when I got to the word I switched to an open toe free motion foot and did the word... then switched back to the walking foot for the rest of the line. No thread interruptions!


I used "literary" words, like.... "books", "library", "knowledge", "fiction"... you get the idea.

You can see that the front of the quilt is really calm. Muted colors, nothing crazy. But then flip to the back! I picked a brighter print... Library Due Date stamps! It's from the same line of fabric, so go check out Connecting Threads if you're interested in a different place to score some great prints!


If you're interested in purchasing this quilt, I've listed it in my Etsy Shop!

linking to: Canoe Ridge Creations

3 comments:

Post a Comment