Friday, August 24, 2012

Lovely Late Nights

Between it still being summer vacation (meaning... less downtime for me!), upcoming fall craft shows, pattern testing, training for a half marathon, and general increase in sewing motivation, I have had a few late nights lately!

I'm not complaining. Au contraire, I am really happy about my regained love of sewing. I was a little worried over the June/July months because I barely even lifted a needle. I'll blame the heat, and the fact that my sewing space was an utter mess. And not just messy. Dirrrty too. So after a good cleaning and cooler weather, I'm back at it!

Last night, I had the company of this lovely fellow:


You see, one of my favorite bloggers, Rachel over at Stitched in Color, is hosting a contest for Heather Ross' new fabric line: Nursery Versery. As luck would have it, when I read about the contest there were two yards of mice heading my way from FabricWorm. If you're a regular fabric buyer you'll know that the Kokka prints aren't cheap. You have to really really want them to hit "buy" on that shopping cart!

I really wanted these mice. I just love all of Heather Ross' work, but these mice were my "must haves" from this line. I bought in the natural and the green color way, and when I opened the package to start figuring on what I'd make for the contest that little farmer mouse just was begging me to be used. I mean, really! Look at his pleading little face!

So I dug into my favorite fussy cut project... the cathedral window zip pouch. I was completely and totally ready to make a color blocked linen pouch featuring this guy, and lined with the same fabric. But I finished the cathedral block, and again... this little guy said "really? just a zip pouch? aren't I more worthy of a bigger project?"... and I said "YES!" (really, it was possibly delirium from staying up too late plus the fact that I've been in major pillow-sewing-mode).
 

So, there you have it. Totally improv piecing, with some new Medrona Road (the orange), and  Modern Meadow (the green) - both from Hawthorne Threads. As a side note, the Modern Meadow came from one of Hawthorne Threads' scrap packs. They are an awesome way to build up stash of some great moden fabrics. I always go to my scrap pack stash when I'm working on the fly like I was last night.

I particularly love the organic, hand painted look of these two fabrics in conjunction with the little mousie. They match so well. The borders and back of the pillow are in natural linen.


That little guy? He's so happy to be surrounded by his fields...  And me? I'm so happy to be back in a sewing groooove. It feels good, people.

finished pillow size 16" x 16"

10 comments:

Meg - Lilybird Stitches said...

Love the colors, and that little mouse is just so sweet :)

Heidi Staples said...

Such a cute pillow. I love the Madrona Road fabric line too! That little guy is adorable in the middle!!

Kelly said...

it's adorable! i'd have a hard time resisting that face, too. :)

Ali said...

Radish mouse (yep that what I call him) happens to be my very favorite mouse in the print! Looks great with the cathedral window.

Susan said...

Getting in the sewing mood myself. Machine is in for tuning and cleaning and skirt fabric waiting. i love Mr. Mouse. You are so talented.

Elaine said...

One of my favorite mice. I love the pillow!

Beth said...

So cute! I love those little mice - he looks great on this pillow - especially with those other fabrics you used.

Gina said...

Adorable! I love the fabrics you put together for this project!

Rachel Hauser said...

Hurray for the sewing groove! Very nicely done =)

amy and the bad cats said...

oh.my.gosh. that mouse is the cutest freaking little thing! love the pouch AND the pillow!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.