Monday, February 13, 2012

Whew! They like it!

The past few days have seen me sewing for Round 2 of the "For the Love of Solids" group.

Again, it is a secret swap so I can't show you my partner's mosaic, but I can say that her color choices and design choices were well outside of my comfort range. I started out thinking I would make a pillow cover for her but then decided my design would work better as a modern mini quilt - wall hanging.

The reason I do swaps - to work outside my comfort range. To make something appealing to my partner that also stays within my personal design aesthetic. To acquire more fabric that I otherwise might not have thought to purchase. To try new things, to get better at things I shy away from.

FTLOSR2_Front

this mini is brought to you by the numbers 36 and 20 - 36 squares, resulting in a 20"x20" mini quilt

This mini quilt accomplished MANY of my swap goals. I used some of my partner's color preferences, and some from my own stash that I thought would compliment. I'm not great at mini quilts. Part of the reason is that I like to make things that are uber functional and in our house, wall art is not neccessarily functional. That is to say, I'd prefer to make quilts that keep the people in the house warm. That being said, I worked really hard to make this mini quilt a stunner. I lined things up painstakingly, and the binding (from the FRONT) looks flawless. If you look from the back you'll see that I still really need to work on making perfect binding. And perfection is always my goal!

FTLOSR2

I worried when I first posted this to the flickr group that it would be deemed to plain, or not enough colors, or that the quilting too simple. But this quilt, even though not initially my style, came together in a style all my own. Curves + straight line quilting. I'm full of contradictions! And so far I've gotten great feedback about it - people seem to like the juxtaposition of the shapes, and the movement and brightness of it. I think it's pretty unique too. I started off wanting to do sort of a more traditional version of the drunkards path quilt, but now I'm really enjoying this more modern take on it.

Anyway, I hope YOU like it, and I'll be linking it up to the Modern Mini Challenge in a couple of weeks!

Modern Mini Challenge

11 comments:

amy and the bad cats said...

wow! this is really stunning, and i love the combo of curved piecing with straightline quilting!

Charlotte said...

so cute! I love it :-D

danih03 said...

This is really eye catching. Love the colors!

Heidi Staples said...

Very lovely. I love the contrast between the pattern and quilting. It really works!

Annabella said...

I love it but I must have missed it in the pool - it`s a lovely mini!

Lisaleh said...

I love this! It reminds me of the old CBC logo. It's terrific. Wonderful job!

Spontaneous Threads said...

Love this mini. Great Job!

piece peace said...

It is a grand mini. I, too, love the round shapes with the diagonal grid quilting. Excellent!

howtobejenna said...

I love the colors, layout, and the contrast of the curved pieces to the straight-line quilting. Well done!

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Very cool layout! Thanks so much for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Good luck!

capitolaquilter said...

I'm just thrilled to be the new proud owner of the mini. Your painstaking perfection is very much appreciated and admired and I love the modern feel the layout evokes with the contradiction of curves and straight lines. Thank you again- Karen

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.