Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I don't need presents

I took Mira holiday shopping this morning - some last minute items to round out the giving season... it's OK that she saw some of her gifts right? I mean, considering she can't remember what happened yesterday she should be able to maintain surprise on Christmas morning?

I made stockings for the girls - nothing fancy - but it will be a nice surprise, especially to Lili, who really wants Mira to have a stocking. So a few stuffers were needed. Bandaids, Hello Kitty pencils, you know, the usual.

And when we got home, mail for me! This is why I don't need any presents. I tend to buy plenty for myself...

First up was a packet of patterns from Make it Perfect, an Australian company that make some beautiful patterns. I've heard rave reviews of their patterns and I love that I don't have to print them out myself :). I have yet to make anything of theirs, but I did buy the Shearwater Kaftan pattern this summer with the full intent of making it until I chickened out. Apparel is a whole nuther sewing world...
these were my winnings from Celebrate Color...
the Honey Blouse, the Coastal Breeze Dress, Uptown Girl Jacket, and Wonderland Dress

Next was a box from Connecting Threads. One of my sewing friends pointed me toward the site for a deal on cotton thread, and I browsed the fabric while I was there too. I didn't realize until I got the box that Connecting Threads is a sister site to Knit Picks, which I have been familiar with from my time knitting. I've never ordered from either - I was wary of the low prices on Knit Picks, but after reading a fellow blogger's review of Connecting Threads, I decided to give it a go. With prices as low as 1.96$ per yard (clearance) up to 5.96$ per yard you really can't beat it. I wondered about the quality of the fabric (some of the JoAnn's quilting cottons often feel like gauze), but another review reassured me...
And I'm so glad I ordered. The thread seems a bit thick to me but using cotton thread is new to me anyway, so I'll see how it runs through the machine. I'm really happy with the prints that I got - some great basics! Those dots will go so well with my Echino leopard print, and the lollypop print in the back reminds me so much of Moda's SugarPop line. They all have a soft and smooth feel, and are thick enough to be worthy of any Moda, Free Spirit, or major label brand. The only fabric I wasn't too happy with was the house print - it seems stiffer and the print has kind of a plasticy feel, but the blue city scene print behind it doesn't have either of those qualities so it doesn't mean that all prints are no good. In any case, I think Connecting Threads will be my go-to for basics when I have the time to wait for it to ship.

3 comments:

heartsease54 said...

June, I use Connecting Threads threads all the time in my Kenmore (my go to machine). Am only using Aurifil on my Featherweight for now. The only thing I've noticed with the cotton threads from CT is that VERY occasionally there will be a slub. It doesn't happen often & when it does, I just cut it off & rethread. As for fabric, the only flannel I got from them seemed very thin, I used it (it was in a kit for a baby blanket) but have never bought any more. The cotton I got was in a tablerunner kit-haven't made it up yet. Haven't tried any of their batiks either, basically because I have a HUGE batik stash as it is. Mostly I haven't tried any of their other fabrics because for awhile, they seemed stuck on what I call mud hen colors-which are not my favorites. And after this month-I've got to tone WAY down on the fabric purchases as I hit all of the online fabric sales & basically (& I'm not overstating it here) I have NO place left to stuff any more!

Ducks and Rabbits said...

The Make it Perfect patterns are great! Simple and stylish at the same time. Take the plunge and do it!

craktpot said...

That is my fave kind of thread (and a SUPER price!) I know someone who quilts for Mark Lipinski, the fabric designer and she uses C&C cotton on these big spools. They don't shed as badly as some other threads (poly is baaad, just check around your bobbin casing some time!) If you have trouble with it bouncing around on your thread spindle, cut the end off of a small used Guterman spool and it will slide into the large cardboard C&C spool. :)

In case you haven't heard it, they say to use the same thread that your fabric is made of--I understand that has to do with the longevity of the item you make, so both are of similar integrity/quality. I've bought a bit of their fabric and was pretty pleased with it. Cute patterns too. Happy Holidays!!! :D

Post a Comment