Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Musings on Swaps

There was a LOT of mail in my mailbox yesterday... Among the packages was my surprise Pretty Little Pouch!

PLP (R3) - Recieved

Along with the dome pouch was a cute little bird pincusion, and a FQ of Ty Pennington fabric. Which I didn't have, and which I have admired.

This is the 5th swap package I have received. I have participated in three rounds of A Little Fabric A Little Chocolate, one round of For the Love of Solids, and this has been my first round of Pretty Little Pouch.

I've had really wonderful experiences with all of my ALFALC swaps. I think this is largely due to the fact that partners are not "secret"... We are notified and are able to communicate with each other throughout the swap window. I like this for a lot of reasons... Partners get to know each other, and can really get a sense for what you'd like in your swap package.

I have also enjoyed participating in the "secret" swaps (FLOS, and PLP), but it's been a really different experience than in the open swap. For one thing, it really makes you work to create a mosaic that represents yourself. For another, it really opens up the mind to some inspiration and creativity: you're really working outside your typical box to work within someone else's mosaic. What I don't love is not being able to openly communicate with your partner, and therefore not really getting to know someone else all that well. I have also found that swapping this way tends to garner something totally unexpected - sometimes for the good, and sometimes not so much.

Anyway, even though my husband thinks I should stop doing swaps (he thinks I nitpick too much), my overall experience with them has been great. I've learned more about myself and my sewing, and I enjoy sending off a little parcel that I hope someone else appreciates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment