Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cold, Brisk, and Awesome.

Hey Rachel - You asked for it, and here's the "Cold Brisk and Awesome" post.

Cooler days and falling leaves... it might be time for me to start knitting again! It's been awhile - since I was pregnant with Mira, I think! I've admitted that sewing is more satisfying than knitting. It's faster (way faster) BUT... it is less portable. And combined with my new obsession for GLEE, knitting might be making a comeback in this house.

Emily models Star Rib
my beautiful friend Em models the cowl for me

When I went through my knitting bag I discovered a (ahem) few unfinished projects, and this one was just perfect for the season. It's from the Fall 2005 (yes, six years ago) issue of Interweave Knits, and it was originally intended to be a poncho. Ponchos are not so much in style anymore, and this open rib mesh pattern is not so suited to cold breezes. So I turned it into an asymmetrical cowl neck scarf. Burgundy is my favorite fall color, and this cozy thing was the perfect finish at the right time of year.

Star Rib Mesh Cowl

The rib mesh, once started, is a pretty easy pattern to follow, and so beautiful in person.

Star Rib Mesh

I have Rachel, at Stitched in Color, to thank for giving me the motivation to finish this project. She's spearheading a "Celebrate Color" event over at her blog, celebrating all colors of fall. It makes me feel rich and cozy, and I'm glad to be submitting this project to the group pool.

Celebrate Color

2 comments:

Lindsay Conner said...

That looks super cozy! :)

Rachel Hauser said...

So glad to hear that this inspired you to finish an abandoned project. It really is a lovely knit mesh!

Post a Comment