Monday, July 18, 2011

Custom Cunundrum

I seem to get alot of custom orders. For instance, the Butterfly Pillow, and the Pillow for Rachel. These custom orders often leave me in a little bit of a cunundrum. I love to sew, and I need to "get the word out" about my crafts in order for my business to grow. But custom orders pose an interesting problem for me. They are usually not something I would normally make, and they often cut into the time I have for making things I've been wanting to make (and that list is long!).

But I do it because I have trouble saying no. And you know what? I usually end up having a LOT of fun making it. Especially the Rachel Pillow. All the fabrics were not ones I would have normally chosen, but when it all came together I was really pleased with the result. And that's the thing: when you sew under other people's constraints, it really helps you look outside the box and learn how to sew outside your comfort range. And that's a good thing.

This time, the Erica Bag, named for the friend who requested it. It's a bag that I designed and thought up all by myself - no pattern. I aimed for the least amount of waste possible, and even reused some old bedsheet material from a friend's move. I'm the first to admit - it's a simple tote - but to have come up with it all myself makes me feel good.

Erica Bag2


Erica Bag1

And of course, no bag is complete without a zippered pocket:

Erica Bag3

8 comments:

Micmacker said...

Beautiful! The zippered pocket definitely raises it above 'simple' level.
I'm out of town for a couple of weeks - let's plan something for August/September?

Megan said...

Beautiful bag! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Jenny said...

Oh...very fun bag!! I want one!!

Connie said...

Great looking bag and you are right that custom orders make you work outside the box.

Carol said...

Very stylish! Interesting and helpful thoughts about orders helping you to think outside of the box.

Stopping in from Fabric Tuesday. My link is http://carolburris.com/grandchildren/first-project-for-the-new-grandchild/

craktpot said...

I did the thing you told me about signing in and it seems to have worked (although I had to sign out to sign in, LOL!) Custom work: now there's a subject for much discussion. I wrote a long comment about it, but never got it to post, LOL! Publicity? Word of mouth is the best value. What about offering a small discount coupon to anyone who refers a new customed referred who makes a purchase from your Etsy?

craktpot said...

LOL, should be CUSTOMER, not customed... the fingers seem to have a mind of their own!

susan said...

I think that bag is gorgeous. Wonderful that you did it without a pattern.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.