Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pips Quilt - Completed!

I finished the Sherbet Pips Quilt! And to say that I am proud of myself is really an understatement.

This quilt started when I won a Sherbet Pips charm pack from Jaceycraft. Along with a fabric bundle I won from Lizzie, I felt I had to put it all to good use and make a quilt. A real quilt, made with quilt blocks, basted to batting, and with binding.

I love the Sherbet Pips fabric line because it can be gender neutral if you want it to be. But you can also girl it out too! I added lots and lots of pink to the quilt because my girl really loves all things pink. I personally very much appreciate the blues and greys in there too.


The back of the quilt is mostly a clearance sheet from the Company store. Does any other quilter out there do this? I loved it because I didn't have to peice together a whole back. I threw in a peiced strip for some eye catching interest and also to make the quilt reversible if we don't want such a busy top showing.


I quilted it with basic straight lines, randomly placed. I really love how it turned out, echoing all the 90 degree angles in the blocks.

I am so thrilled with how the binding turned out. It's the first time I've ever done binding and I was so daunted. I made it wider than the average - I think the finished width is about 3/4". I also made very good use of my demo machine's embroidery function and machine stitched the binding with a cute star pattern. I absolutely love how it looks.


Here's Lili, the proud owner of a new handmade quilt! It's total coincidence that her outfit today matches the quilt :)

And the quilt in it's intended resting place, on the big girl bed.

In all, this quilt took me about a month to complete. I don't know if I'll do it again, but MAN it was satisfying. I am so glad I finished it!

To see where/when I started, and my accountability process, see previous posts:
Pips Start off
Pips in Progress
Pips almost done

I am submitting this quilt to:
Blogger's Quilt Festival
Quiltstory

20 comments:

Lindsay Conner said...

Great job! What a sense of accomplishment :)

Carpenters said...

Beautiful! It's amazing!

craktpot said...

YAY for pretty and finished BIG projects! And you rocked out that binding AND your demo machine! WTG! Oh, and Lili just rocks too, heh! ;)

gina said...

Way to go, June! What a beautiful and fun quilt! Love that it joins the rainbow pillow on Lili's bed - she is sleeping in style these days! :)

Sherry said...

What a beauty! ...and what interesting extras; embroidery on border and extra piecing on the back.

Lizzie Brown said...

Looks awesome! I like the pink/aqua/red color scheme. And I love your idea for doing a fancy stitch on the binding! What a cute finishing detail. I might steal your idea.

Valentina said...

Oh Lili looks so proud of her quilt! Wonderful, and so fresh- Congratulations on a beautiful quilt, June-bug!
I particularly like how you did the decorative stitch on your binding: great touch! :)

Debbie said...

ahhh. What a darling quilt for a sweet little girl! Lovely.

Quiltbenaco said...

Davvero carino!

Teresa said...

Cute! You little girl is really cute too! Great job on the binding!

Katie B. said...

Fantastic quilt! I love the little decorative touch in the binding. Very sweet.

stitchinpenny said...

I love the pips and you really did them justice.

Courtney said...

This is beautiful! Good work!

Karen said...

I am loving seeing how everyone is using Sherbet Pips. Your quilt looks great with all the extra pink. Lovely.

Katie said...

Very sweet. I love how you finished the binding...I may just have to see what stitches my machine offers...

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is very pretty and I love the binding, too! I might have try that. :)

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

beautiful quilt!! nice touch on the binding too!

Eileen said...

Darling quilt and absolutely adorable little child! Love those fabrics. Nice story too. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Anonymous said...

What a pretty quilt. The fabrics are so lovely. What girl (big or littler) would not want that quilt. Judith. carrierman4755@gmail.com

Rachel Hauser said...

That does look great, June! What a way to take off the pressure AND add something cute.

Post a Comment