Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Swamp Soup

I tend to want to eat like a kid. That is to say... eating with my eyes rather than my brain, and (wishing I could) eating stuff that only tastes really good.

And I went to a friend's house where they eat a LOT of veggies. And they offered me "Swamp Soup". Now, if I was a 4 year old boy I think I would love the idea of swamp soup. And in fact, Lili loved the idea too. But then you look at it, and it's just a bunch of soggy spinach. But being "grownup" I tried to do as I say and I tried a spoonful. And it was delicious. Truly. To the point where I made it at home and subjected my family to it.

Keith said too much lemon. Lili said too much spinach. Mira said YUM, and so did I. And everyone ate it so overall I say good. And I kind of want to eat some more for breakfast.


aka Spinach Soup with CousCous and Lemon (from some Vegetarian cookbook whose name I cannot remember)

2 T olive oil
4 garlic clove minced
2 shallots, finely dice
10 c veggie stock (or made from boullion, or homemade chicken stock which is what i used)
1/2 c cous cous (I used 1 cup)
2 c fresh cooked or canned chickpeas (i used canned)
1 lb fresh spinach, chopped or shredded
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
6 finely sliced scallions
1 T chopped fresh dill or t dried
1 t salt
black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1 T butter

Cook garlic and shallots in oil. Pour in stock and boil
Add cous and chick and cook for 10 minutes stirring oft
Add spin, half scallion, dill, parsley, salt pepper. 10 more minutes stirring cooking
Add lemon juice, butter, and rest of scallion

0 comments:

Post a Comment