Monday, March 21, 2011

Balloon Girl Pillow

For my Blogger's Pillow Party entry this month, I initally had a really hard time figuring out what to do... I wanted something simple, something with plenty of color, but my first attempt was a little boring. That's when I decided to use the party host's suggestion of embroidery! Now, I've never embroidered before, but part of making things for this pillow party is to learn new techniques (one of my goals anyway), so I drew up a little design and perused a couple of sources (comfortstitching, sarahjanestudios) for ideas on how to stitch it up.

And here I have the completed Balloon Girl Pillow!


Techniques include... applique, peicing, and hand embroidery


I am quite happy with how the little girl turned out... she's inspired by a peice of artwork Keith's poppy gave us a few years ago.

I also was able to use some scraps of my favorite fabrics (Central Park, anyone?)


The pillow cover measures 16x16... and is removable (washable is a neccessity around here!)

I also did my first envelope enclosure... so easy!



Blogger's Pillow Party


also linking up to...
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations
Quilt Story Fabric Tuesdays
Take a look Tuesday on Sugar Bee Crafts
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal
Saturday Crafty day at Along for the Ride
Saturday Spotlight on Craft Envy

13 comments:

Ruthie said...

it's beautiful. very simple, yet fun and artistic.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Wow, so beautiful...I'm really jealous of your skills! You did a great job, and what a cute design idea!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness, this is so fun! I love everything about it. So cute, colorful and such great details.

Susanne said...

This is soo cute!!!

Karenkay said...

adorable!!

Teje said...

Hello! What a beautiful and happy pillow! I love how you have made it with a simple way but still full of lovely details!
Thank you for your sweet comment! Teje

carey said...

so cute!! i love your pillow. :)

Kiera said...

Love it! So cute, just adorable. You did a great job!

littlemissmk said...

super cute! :) yep, reminded me right away of comfortstitching's great designs. great job! :)

CJ said...

Love that little girl holding the balloons! Nice that you were able to try some new techniques too.

Kathryn said...

Beautiful pillow! It makes you feel happy to look at it!

Rachel Hauser said...

Another lovely pillow, Junebug! Way to go on learning a new skill. You rocked it!

Carpenters said...

This is amazing! Beautiful work!

Post a Comment