Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sweater to Sweater

I have been really inspired by Grosgrain's sweater month. It's amazing what that lady can do with a sewing machine and a stylistic mind. Combine with Kid's Clothing Week Challenge, and you've got me for the past month or so. Hacking away at old clothes and puzzling them back together into stuff for Mira to wear. I'm lucky she's not picky about her clothes like Lili is.

Today (last night) is a sweater. The lessons I learned are:

1) Sewing kicks Knitting's butt. Seriously. Can you knit a sweater (even a baby sweater) in less than 2 hours? Didn't think so.

2) Things don't really ever turn out the way they do in your mind. I've been mind-planning this sweater for a few days, and it really didn't turn out at all like I planned. The sweater I planned will have to wait for another day.

So, this is what I started with:

A HUGE Old Navy sweater (size XXL - plenty of extra for pants, legwarmers, hats...)
A currently fits Mira sweater to use as a "pattern"
An old women's T shirt that I was going to use as binding but... didn't.

I would've/could've turned this into a tutorial, but since it didn't turn out as planned... I basically hacked away, and put it back together, filling in peices and sewing together as I went. And it turned out pretty well, I think. I was thinking of using the pink T shirt as binding material for the bottom, but just ended up hemming it. I thought the sweater looked busy enough as it is without adding extra material to the bottom.


And how does it look on her? You tell me:

2 comments:

Post a Comment