Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chai Cookies

I started up my knitting group again after almost 2 years' hiatus, and what better way to kick it off than having a warm plate of chai cookies to go along with my snuggly wool? I am a HUGE fan of Chai Tea, in summer and winter and so I thought chai flavored cookies would go over well too. A friend was supposed to send me a recipe she liked, but the link didn't come through so I improvised from a few recipes I found online... It makes a nice dense, chewy, spicy cookie.


Chai Cookies
makes 4 dozen

2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional sugar for rolling

Directions

1. Mix flour, tartar, soda, and spices in medium bowl. Set aside.

2. Beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Cover. Refrigerate 2 hours or until dough is firm .

3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. (Be sure to line the sheets - the cookies stick!!!)

4. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.

adapted from McCormick

2 comments:

Post a Comment