Friday, July 2, 2010

Bicycle Buckets for Two

Lili and Q are like two peas in a pod. Their birthdays are 1 week apart, and they just seem to speak the same language. Thick as thieves. So when I asked Rachel what Q might want for his birthday, she mentioned a bike basket. And I thought "of Course!" because a bicycle basket is something that has been on Lili's wish list too!

And because of my newfound love of Etsy, I thought I'd see if there were any listed there. And I came across a cute fabric bike basket. And I thought "Wow, maybe I can make one too!". So I searched for a tutorial, and came across a fabulous kid's bicycle bucket tutorial**.

I got to work right away, and behold the creations, a his and hers set:



Lili immediately wanted to try hers out so we gave it a test run. Adorned with clip on flowers. A big bonus to this pattern is that the attachment to the handlebars will only work on her bike. So if she wants to use the basket, she must ride her bike. It's good motivation, I think.

And the requisite "lets fill it up with rocks" test:


** Some notes on the making of, if you are going to try it too...

- Buy 2 half yards of fabric. This will give you extra in case you mess up (like I did), and I'm not even sure that a fat quarter will cover what you need for the lining fabric
- I used boning around the edges to give it extra structure. I probably won't do that next time I make this because the boning made sewing the binding on a pain in the butt.
- I think the rectangular dimensions the author listed are wrong. Didn't work out for me, so I cut the rectangular sections based on pattern arc.
- Double sided stiff fusible interfacing is awesome. I plan to try to make a "crib" for Lili's animals with the leftovers.
- The velcro attachment to the bike seems a tad flimsy, but held up well during our test run. We'll see if it stands the test of time. If not, I'll change it out for webbing and buckles. (Note that, Rachel! Q's gift comes with a warranty!)

Overall, I'm pretty proud of myself for this project. It was pretty quick, took about 4 days from start to finish, sewing whenever I had a free moment... Hopefully Q will love his birthday gift!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

June! He is Going to LOVE that. I love it and the EXTRA love that went into a homemade present is such a bonus!!

Post a Comment