Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another baking post

I got my favorite magazine in the mail yesterday, and that always means it's time to try a new recipe.

Tangent... March is cut the vices month. We (I) am trying to spend less (less online shopping and impulse/future buying), and it also seemed that I was trying to eat less sweets. Which means baking less. But if you know me well, baking means sanity. Hence this project.

And if you know me very very well, you know that my favorite dessert is Cherry Pie. Really good Cherry Pie. I have yet to bake a real from scratch Cherry Pie, but there was something just as tantalizing in this month's issue... Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake. The picture shows a dense thin cake with a layer of cherry and topped with streusel (a favorite of Keith's) AND drizzled with icing. Yum. I love almonds and I love cherries and I have to try this recipe. Even though it's a ton of steps and random ingredients I've never used before (almond paste? it's not marzipan).

So one thing that happens during the many steps to this dessert is that I discovered a pet peeve on mine regarding recipes: when it lists a bunch of ingredients and then splits them up in the text of the recipe... for instance, lists 2 cups of flour, uses 1/3 cup in the topping, and the remaining flour in the cake body. It's that remaining part that bugs me. I may have been an engineer in my former life, but I have no room in my head for simple math. Especially when I'm trying to keep the cherry filling from burning while nursing a baby. Split it up for me in the ingredients list. That way I'm WAY less likely to make a mistake.

But even so... how'd it turn out??

It was pretty darn delicious, but not really worth the 5 bowls, 6 measuring cups, spatulas, beaters, whisks, and massive amounts of butter involved. I might try to develop my own, lighter and easier version of this sometime when I'm feeling extra ambitious. But for now, a nice big pan to indulge in.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.