Monday, February 22, 2010

It's Fishy!

It turns out that Lili really likes fish and shrimp. We discovered this when her Omi was here after Mira was born. Omi loves salmon and is very good at cooking it, and Lili first loved the fact that it was pink and then loved to eat it too! I think part of it is that fish is less tough/easier to chew than most meats.

We've not been big fish cookers in the past, in fact I used to be allergic to shrimp and never really loved eating fish. But Keith likes it, and now that I know Lili likes it combined with the fact that I've been told to get more Omega-3's into my diet means that I've ventured into the world of cooking seafood. I've been able to do tilapia well, and last night made some really great salmon. Here's my easy recipe:

Orange Soy Salmon

3 salmon fillets, marinade (for 2-8 hrs) in the following mixure:

4 T soy sauce
2-3 T chinese cooking wine (or sherry, sake, white wine)
2 slices fresh ginger
the zest and juice of 1/2 an orange
a few dashes of sesame oil
1-2 T cooking oil

heat oven to 400 degrees. remove fillets from marinade, and strain the marinade, reserving the liquid. heat 2 tsp sesame oil and 1 Tbs cooking oil in a large skillet. sear fillets one minute on each side and then transfer to a glass baking dish, skin side down. pour reserved marinade liquid over fillets, drizzle a couple more tablespoons soy sauce and wine over top. bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, until desired done-ness. Served with rice and salad!

1 comments:

batcave said...

Just wanted to let you know we loved your salmon recipe. My daughter loves salmon so we eat it quite a bit. I also loved how good the house smelt after cooking. That's pretty rare when cooking fish. Anyway thanks for passing it on.
In case you are wondering who I am, I work with Margot and she showed my your blog. Your kids are adorable.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.