Friday, October 2, 2009

Moon Cookies

Tomorrow is the Chinese Moon Festival. I don't really know anything about it, except that it happens during a full moon in the fall and you celebrate by eating traditional moon cakes (bean paste filled concoctions). My mom and I both agree that the reason we both "like" moon cakes is because of nostalgia, and not necessarily because they taste good. But neither of us is sure about that statement, either.

Anyway, we have had a library book out for a few weeks now and I realized that we can use this book as a very nice tie-in to the moon festival, seeing as how I don't really know much about the traditional festival anyway. "The Moon Might Be Milk" is about cookies. Bits of the moon are combined to create (sugar cookie) moons! Lili asked if we could make the cookies, and so in honor of Moon Festival, that is what we did today.



Unlike most of the baking I do with her, I let her do most of the work, because, frankly, I didn't really care about how the cookies turned out. I don't love sugar cookies the best. So we donned our aprons and made a little bit of a mess, but ended up with some beautiful "moon" cookies.

Bonus! They don't taste like a 3 year old made them. They're actually kind of decent. SO... here's to a full moon. May I possibly go into labor this weekend! (36 weeks today... that's "full term"!)

1 comments:

Scott S said...

Harvest festival... it's about going home and celebrating the end of the growing year, and getting enough food stored for the winter months. Or something like that. I'm not sure why the moon cakes... but -I- think moon cakes can be tasty.

Post a Comment