Sunday, June 7, 2009

Creamy Artichoke Soup

The other day, Lili and I stopped at the world's most inefficient lunch place, which happens to be inside of a garden shop. I got my usual, a Cuban and cole slaw, then the baby in my belly said it wanted MORE and so I ordered a small Creamy Artichoke Soup. It was amazing. I love artichokes, but I wondered if such a soup would be overwhelming. It kind of was, but in a good way. I set out to find a recipe to replicate it but only found blended soups, none like the light chunky soup I had, so I concocted my own creation...

Creamy Artichoke Soup

3-4 Leeks, tender parts rinsed and chopped
1 box frozen artichokes, thawed
Salt
Pepper
2 cups H2O
1 vegetable boullion cube
1 cup milk
2 Tbs flour
1/2 can quartered artichokes, hand "mashed"

Saute the leeks in olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add some salt and pepper, add the frozen artichokes and saute a little longer. Add the water and boullion, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Combine the milk and flour with a whisk, and then add to the soup. Using an immersion blender, blend up the whole concoction. Add more salt, and lots of pepper (the soup should have a slightly peppery bite). Simmer for a few minutes to slightly thicken, and add the canned artichokes that you have roughly broken apart by hand. Enjoy with crusty bread!

2 comments:

Margot said...

This sounds delicious, I'm definitely going to try it!!

sweet p. said...

Cubanos are the best - we actually (on purpose) make too much pork when we roast just to have the left overs... Makes my mouth water!

Post a Comment