Monday, May 18, 2009

Key Lime Yummy

I'll have... yummy.

A while ago, my friend Anna and I had a discussion about Key Lime Pie. It's one of my favorite desserts EVER, and she happened to be there when it became my favorite, though I doubt she remembers this (it was the1997 swim trip to FL). Since our conversation, my craving has built and built to it's breaking point: this morning. Actually, the breaking point was probably Friday evening, but I was able to quell the crave with an eclair.

It turns out Key Lime pie is surprisingly easy to make. Very few ingredients (compared to the crap I'd have been willing to eat from the supermarket!), and a quick baking time. I'm definitely happy to discover how easy it was to make, but not so keen on how quickly I seem to be able to devour it. By the way... I know Key Lime Pie usually is topped by whipped cream, but a meringue top was lower-fat and it helped me used the egg whites leftover from the filling!


Expect more food related posts as this pregnancy progresses!

Key Lime Pie with Meringue

Filling:
3 egg yolks
zest f 2 limes
14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice (juice the limes used to zest, and then supplement with Key Lime Juice)

Meringue
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp cornstarch
6 Tbs sugar

Heat oven to 350F. Beat egg yolks with zest for 3-5 minutes. While beating, drizzle in the condensed milk. Beat in the lime juice until just combined. Pour filling into a 9-inch graham cracker pie crust, and bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the egg whites, vanilla, salt, cream of tartar, and cornstarch for 1 minute, until soft peaks form. While beating, slowly add the sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Spread the meringue on the hot pie, taking care to seal the edges. Return to oven and bake for 12-15 minutes more, until the meringue is browned on top.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Peter makes a wonderful Key Lime pie too. Your description made me hungry.

V said...

mmm I'm going to have to try this

Along the Ausable said...

I just wrote down JuneBug's Key Lime Yummy onto a recipe card and can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.