Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Orchid Mania

The first time my grandmother came to visit Lilian (when we still lived in Ithaca, when Lili was very young), she bought her a beautiful orchid in a pink pot. The orchid bloomed for a long time and then lost all its flowers, one by one. When we moved, we gave all our plants to my dad, who has the greenest thumb you've ever seen. Now that we are in a house again, he is slowly bringing back all the stuff we left with him, including the beautiful orchid.

I'm serious when I say my dad has some kind of special ability with plants. Just look at the thing:

and, a view out our front window.

7 comments:

susan said...

Wow June,

That is one beautiful orchid and an even more beautiful little girl. miss you guys.

susan said...

Wow June,

That is one beautiful orchid and an even more beautiful little girl. miss you guys.

J$ said...

wow, that orchid is gorgeous!!

(PS, love your Obama tag!!)

eyeheartorange said...

wish my dad had a skill like that! Although he is great with duct tape...

Sue said...

I guess I had better send my orchid to your dad before I kill it completely.

L said...

I just received a gorgeous orchid as a gift and I am so so afraid I'll kill it. Any advice...?!

JuneBug said...

hey miss L. congrats on the orchid! they're nice to have around :) Don't water it too often. Give it bright light, but not necc direct sunlight (although my dad has had good luck with direct sun). When it's root spongy stuff is dry (but maybe not bone dry), thoroughly soak it by running water through the pot using the kitchen sink. Don't let the flowers get wet. The flowers will eventually fall off one by one, but if you just keep it alive it will develop new ones. Cut the old stem off about an inch from the bottom.

Post a Comment